Most of you know Samsung as an electronics manufacturer company. But did you know Samsung Company is more than that?
What if I told you that the world’s tallest skyscraper, Burj Khalifa in Dubai, is built by Samsung? You probably didn’t know that.
We hear a lot of Apple, Google, and Microsoft, but what about the company that started 38 years before Apple? We though it would be great if we pack up whole interesting stuff about Samsung into one single infographic.
30 Mind blowing facts about Samsung you didn’t know
Infographic by TufiTech
How Big Is Samsung ?
Who would have known that the same company that leads the smartphone and television market also makes huge ships, military equipment, built the world’s tallest skyscraper, has a medical research center, a theme park?
Samsung is on top of the list of IT company to have spent the most money on research and development.
Here’re the facts if you didn’t go through the infographic:
- In 2014, the total revenue of the company was $305 billion and the company spent $14 billion alone in advertising and marketing of its products.
- The name of the company “Samsung” means “three stars”. It was chosen by the founder Lee Byung-chull with the hope for his company to develop in scale and power like stars in the sky.
- As of 2014, they’ve 489,000 employees world wide — that is more employees than Apple, Microsoft and Google combined.
- Samsung’s revenue was equal to 17% of South Korea’s $1,082 billion GDP
- Initially, they sold groceries and noodles at the time they founded the company in 1938. After that, they added securities and retail business in the late 1950s.
- The wasn’t into the electronic business until the 1970s — it’s the year when they produced first television, 12-inch black and white.
- The first-ever commercial cell phone was sold over only 2,000 units.
- Samsung holds 22.4% smartphone market share (in 2015). They sold over 325 million smartphones in 2015. Apple sold 231 million units.
- They spent $14.1 billion for research and development while Apple spent $6 billion.
- The CPU chips of iPhone 4 series, iPhone 5 series and of some major iPad series was manufactured by Samsung.
- They held 95.8% of AMOLED display panel, and 27.5% of global TV market share in 2015.
- Samsung is composed of 80 different business including Samsung Heavy industries, which builds 30 vessels every year.
- Samsung made fighter jet, helicopters, and mobile artillery for South Korean army.
- They own South Korea’s largest theme park, Everland.
- They build some major skyscrapers including Burj Khalifa, Taipei 101, and Petronas Tower.
- Samsung donates $100 million to its non-profit medical center every year.
- Since the founding of Samsung Electronics, Samsung’s logo has only changed three times.
- One out of every three smartphones sold all over the world bears Samsung brand on it.
- There are 100 Samsung TVs being sold in every minute.
- 70% of smartphones in the world are applied DRAM made by Samsung.
- Samsung and its affiliates produce around a fifth of a fifth of South Korea’s total exports (South Korea’s is world’s fifth largest exporter with more than $628 billion of export which is nearly double of what India export).
- Samsung’s CEO Lee Kun-hee is one of the richest person in the world with estimated net worth of $12.6 billion and is 41st most powerful person in world.
- The world’s tallest skyscraper building Burj Khalifa, The 4th tallest Taipei 101 are actually built by Samsung C&T Corporation.
Know more about Samsung from Wikipedia.
Get more more interesting article like this
in your inbox
Subscribe to our mailing list and get daily new articles and updates to your email inbox.